Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Plunge

I still vividly remember that early morning in June 1996 when I took the high-school entrance exam for the American College of Sofia. I remember it all: the nervous walk through the campus before the exam, my squeaky wooden desk and even the smoke that was coming from behind our car as my parents and I drove away after the test (my dad had forgotten to release the parking brake!). Maybe some day those memories will fade away. Or maybe I will simply lose the ability to relate to them and they will turn into paintings that I can never warm up to like all modern art after Picasso. 

Yet there is one thing that I will never forget. I will never forget the mixed feeling of excitement and fear as I was staring at the blank sheet before the beginning of the essay section of the exam. Now, as I face a similar situation, I understand that this was precisely the feeling I needed to have. Any creative act no matter how simple requires you to take a leap of faith in terms of your own abilities. You should be afraid and excited at the same time because that is the only way you will be ready to take the plunge...

No comments:

Post a Comment